Old Colony Lodge (1792) "oldest child of the Grand Lodge of Masons of Massachusetts"
Location: 85 Central Street Hingham, MA 02043
Brief History by Wor. Ronald Lincoln
“Man’s life on earth is brief, and the fashion of the world passeth away. To attained to the one hundredth year of its prosperous existence by any human institution is a notable event. Joining in all the hearty congratulations which are rightfully forthcoming upon this happy and interesting occasion, I salute you, Brethren, in the noble confession of Freedom, Fellowship, and Love, which is Eternal Freemasonry.”
These words were spoken on Friday, December 9th, 1892 by Rev. Bro. Joshua Young, D.D., Orator of the Day set apart for the celebration of the 100th anniversary of Old Colony Lodge. These words Have been uttered at every anniversary celebration of the Lodge and are repeated here.
Looking back over the years that have passed, we find our beginnings in the small hamlet town of Hanover, at a time when the region west of the Mississippi was a vast unknown, an era which knew none of our modern conveniences of travel, living, education, entertainment, or the like, an age which found our Great American Republic just three years since its inception.
It was at this time that seven Brethren presented a petition praying “that they, with such others as shall hereafter join them, may be created and constituted a regular Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons, under the title and designation of Old Colony Lodge, within the Town of Hanover, Plymouth County, and Commonwealth of Massachusetts.” Their prayer was granted and the Charter under which Old Colony Lodge, now in Hingham, exists and works, was duly issued. A complete and detailed history of the events surrounding the early days of Old Colony Lodge in Hanover, its first places of meeting, an historical, resume of the seven Charter Members of the Lodge, the events surrounding its removal to Hingham in 1807 is all a matter of Record as set down by those Historians of old in such a complete manner as to indicate to us how much this was truly for them a labor of love.
From the Lodge’s beginnings, first meeting in the Tavern of Atherton Wales (the Tavern is still standing and is a residence across the street from the present Phoenix Lodge).
In 1807, Old Colony Lodge moved to Hingham, holding its first meeting on December 11, 1807. After occupying several halls in Hingham, the Lodge met in what was known as the Lincoln Building, and met there for a period of 69 years, at which time the Masonic Building at 85 Central Street was completed and put into use in March of 1929.